What should I do if my wife / girlfriend starts contractions?
It's going to happen: your wife complains of recurring pain in her stomach, lower back or legs. She is approaching the end of her pregnancy or is already far beyond the due date, so it can only mean one thing: it's go time! But what should you do? Follow our checklist and you should be fine.
- Provided: the midwife is there to guide you safely and healthily through pregnancy and childbirth. Doubts and questions? Call, if necessary, on the emergency number! No acute situation? Then read on.
- Is your girlfriend between the ages of 37 and 42 weeks pregnant? Call the midwife if it is between 7 a.m. and 10 p.m. or if the contractions come every four minutes for an hour and last for one minute.
- Is your wife not yet 37 weeks pregnant? Call the emergency number anyway.
- Does the delivery begin with broken waters? Have your girlfriend catch some of the amniotic fluid in a glass. Is it clear moisture with some white flakes that swim in it? Good, then it looks good. In some cases, the color of the amniotic fluid varies from green to brown. It may be that the baby has pooped in the amniotic fluid and additional checks are necessary. In the latter case, always call the emergency number immediately.
- Another complicated, but very important point: remember at the end of the pregnancy whether the midwife has felt whether or not the baby's head has descended. Are the membranes broken and did the midwife say that the head has descended properly? Then it is good and you basically do not have to call immediately. Was the head still not properly descended during the last visit and are the membranes broken? Call the emergency number immediately.
- Also inform the maternity care office about the imminent delivery. Do this before 10 a.m. or after 7.00 p.m. if your girlfriend or wife gives birth in the hospital. Is there a wish to give birth at home? Then the maternity care agency must know that the birth started, at the moment that the contractions come every four minutes and then last for a minute.
If you have any doubts at all, always contact the medical authorities as soon as possible.
Leave a comment on this article
From angelababy In Q&A1 484 11/12/2019